Expression of Estrogen, Progesterone and Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptors in Breast Cancer in Al-Nassiriya 2014--2015.
Breast cancer is the most common malignancy and is real general well-being issue for ladies all through the world and in Iraq. Breast cancer is an extremely heterogeneous disease, There are three predictive markers: estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors and Her2-neu receptors have independent prognostic value in breast cancer. ER expression appears in 80-90 % of patients with breast cancer, while PR expression appear in 70-80 % of cases.Her2-neu over expression present in 15-20 % of cases(1). Our study is a cross-sectional study carried out in Thi-qar governorate in Nasiriya city in Al Habbobi hospital –Oncology center, 165 cases of patients who were diagnosed during the period of two years (February 2014 - January 2015 ) with invasive breast cancer were included in this study . The information of each patient were collected and analyzed which include : age of patient, sex, place of residence and tumor related information include grading, staging of tumor, status of receptors(ER, PR, HER2neu receptors). From this study we found The mean age 49±11.1. Most cases were PR+(75.2%) while ER+(72.7%) but most of them were HER2 negative(78.2%). Most patients were in grade II (64.2%) and stage II (50.3%) ,The most common hormonal receptor expression was (ER/PR+ ,HER2-) which accounted for 64.8%.
Regarding to association of hormonal receptor expression with grading and staging of tumor appears that higher grade tumor (II) was observed (76.93%) in type IV (ER/PR-, Her2+) and higher stage (III) was observed (80.95%) in triple negative subtype.
Aim of Study:
It is to evaluate the hormonal receptor status and their association with grading and staging of breast cancer at the time of diagnosis in Al-Nassiriya city.
- American Cancer Society. Breast cancer facts and figures 2005-2006. World Wide Web URL: www.cancer.org
- Kumer VI, Cotran RA, Robbins ST (eds.).ROBBINS BASICPATHOLOGY (7th edition), SAUNDERS, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2003:716.
- Ferlay J, Autier P, Boniol M, Heanue M, Colombet M,Boyle P. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006. Ann Oncol 2007; 18(3):581.
- Antoniou AC, Easton DF. Models of genetic susceptibility to breast cancer. Oncogene 2006; 25(43):5898.
- Wooster R, Weber BL. Breast and ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med 2003; 348(23):2339.
- Cox A, Dunning AM, Garcia-Closas M, Balasubramanian S, Reed MW, Pooley KA, et al. A common coding variant in CASP8 is associated with breast cancer risk. Nat Genet 2007; 39(3):352-8.
- Sariego J. Breast cancer in the young patient. The Am surg. 2010; 76(12):1397–400.
- Brown NM, &Lamartiniere CA. Xenoestrogens alter mammary gland differentiation and cell proliferation in the Rat. Environmental Health Perspectives 1995; 103, 708-13.
- Murray TJ, Maffini MV, Ucci AA, Sonnenschein C, Soto AM. Induction of mammary gland ductal hyperplasias and carcinoma in situ following fetal bisphenol A exposure. Reproductive Toxicology2007; 23(3), 383-90. doi: 10.1061/j.bbr.2011.03.031.
- Recchia AG, Vivacqua A, Gabriele S, Carpino A, Fasanella G, Rago V,et al. Xenoestrogens and the induction of proliferative effects in breast cancer cells via direct activation of estrogen receptor alpha. Food Additives and Contaminants2004; 21(2), 134-44. doi: 10.1080/0265203031000.
- Grann VR, Troxel AB, ZojwallaNJ, JacobsonJS, Hershman D, Neugut Al. Hormone receptor status and survival in a population- based cohort of patients with breast carcinoma. Cancer 2005; 103(11); 2241-51.
- Esteva FJ, Hortobagyi GN. Prognostic molecular markers in early breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2004; 6(3); 109- 18.Epub 2004.
- Ross JS, Fletcher JA,LinetteGP. The HER-2 gene and protein in breast cancer; biomarker and target of therapy. Rev Oncologist 2003; 8; 307-25.
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, Aas T, Geisler S, Johnsen H, et al. Gene expression Patterns of breast cancers distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications. ProcNatlAcadSci USA 2001; 98(19); 10869-74.
- Yao ZX, Lu LJ, Wang RJ, Jin LB, Liu SC, Li HY, et al. Discordance and clinical significance of ER, PR AND HER2 status between primary breast cancer and synchronous axillary lymph node metastasis. Med Oncol.2014; 31(1); 798
- Schnitt SJ. Estrogen receptor testing of breast cancer in current clinical practice: what's the question? J Clin. Oncol. 2006; 24(12):1797.
- DeVita V, Lawrence T, Rosenberg S. De Vita, Hellman and Rosenberg's Cancer:Principles and Practice of oncology, 8th edition cogyright 2008, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2008;vol 2:43 1595-650.
- Piccart-Gebhart MJ. Anthracyclines and the tailoring of treatment for early breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2006; 354(20):2177
- Berry DA, Cronin KA, Plevritis SK, Fryback DG, Clarke L, Zelen M, et al. Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancer.2005; 353, 1784-92.
- Yavari P, Hislop TG, Bajedik C, Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Babai M, et al .comparison of cancer incidence in Iran and Iranian immigrants to BritishColumbia, Canada. Asian pac J cancer prev .2006; 7(1): 86-90
- Pisani P, Bray F, Parkin DM. Estimation of the world-wide prevalence of cancer for 25 sites in the adult population. INT I cancer 2006; 97, 72-81.
- Singh GK, Miller BA, Hankey BF, Edwards BK. Area socioeconomic variations in US cancer incidence, mortality ,stage, treatment, and survival, 1975–1999. NCI cancer surveillance monograph series 2003; 4.
- Arpino G, Wiechmann L, Osborne K, & Schiff R. Crosstalk between Estrogen Receptor and the Her Tyrosine Kinase Receptor Family: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Implications for Endocrine Therapy Resistance .Endocrine Reviews 2008; 29, 217-233. doi: 10.1210/er.2006-0045 .
- Mercado-Feliciano M, Bigsby RM. The Polybrominated Diphenyl Ether mixtureDE-71 is mildly estrogenic. Environmental Health Perspectives 2008; 116(5), 605-11. doi: 10.1289/ehp.10643 .
- Gutierrez C, Schiff C. HER 2: Biology, Detection, and Clinical Implications. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine2011; 135(1), 55-62. doi:10.1043/20100454-RAR.1.
- Slamon D, Eiermann W, Robert N, Pienkowski T, Martin M, Press M, et al. Adjuvant Trastuzumab in HER2-Positive Breast Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine 2011; 365, 1273-0083. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0910383.
- Jung HH, Park YH, Jun HJ, Kong J, Kim JH, Kim JA, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-1 Expression Can Be Unregulated through Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase Pathway under the influence of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 Synergized with Estrogen Receptor .Molecular Cancer Research 2010; 8, 1037-1047. doi: 10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-09-0469.
- Stoica GE, Franke TF, Wellstein A, Czubayko F, List HJ, Reiter R, et al. Estradiol rapidly activates Akt via the ErbB2 signaling pathway .Molecular Endocrinology 2003; 17, 818-30. doi: 10.1210/me.2002-0330 .
- Yang Z, Barnes CJ, Kumar R. Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2status modulates sub cellular localization of and interaction with estrogen recepto r alpha in breast cancer cells. Clinical Cancer Research 2004; 10, 3621-3628. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-0740-3.
- Montemurro F, DiCosimo S, Arpino, G. Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (Her2)-positive and hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: new insights into molecular interactions and clinical implications. Annals of Oncology 2013;24(11), 1-10. doi:10.1093/annonc/mdt287.
- Wang YC, Morrison G, Gillihan R, Guo J, Ward RM, Fu X, et al Different mechanisms for resistance to trastuzumab versus lapatinib in Her-2 positive breast cancers – role of estrogen receptors and Her2 reactivation .Breast Cancer Research 2011; 13, R121.doi: 10.1186bcr3067.
- Rosenberg L, Zhang Y, Coogan PF, Strom BL, Palmer J. A case control study of oral contraceptive use and incident breast cancer. American journal Epidemiol.2008; 169(4); 473-09.dio:10.1093/aje/kwn360.
- Press MF, Slamon DJ, Flom KJ, Park J, Zhou JY, Bernstein L. Evaluation of HER-2/neu gene amplification and overexpression: comparison of frequently used assay methods in a molecularly characterized cohort of breast cancer specimens. Clinical Journal of Oncology 2002; 20, 3095-0105. doi:10.120/JCO.2002.09.094.
- Al-Anbari S. Correlation of the clinicopathological presentations on Iraqi breast cancer patients with the findings of biofield breast cancer diagnostic system (BDS), HER2 and Ki-67 immunohistochemical expressions.A PhD thesis Baghdad 2009.
- Taheri NS, Bakhshandehnosrat S, Tabiei MN, Kashani E, Rajaei S, Besharat S,et al. Epidemiological pattern of breast cancer in Iranian Women: is there an ethnic disparity? 2012.
- Rosia J, Desmet V, Brunning R. Rosia and Ackerman's surgical pathology ,ninth edition,www.elesvierhealth.com,2004; 9:1763-877.
- Al-Sanati M. PCR study of BRCA1 BRCA 2 in correlation to immunohistochemical expression of P53, estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer. A PhD thesis Baghdad. 2009.
- Adedayo A, Onitilo MD, MSCR, FACP, Jessica M, Engel MSN, et al .Breast cancer subtypes based on ER/PR and HER2 expression :Comparison of clinicopathologic features and survival .2009; dio:10.3121/cmr.825.
- Al-Alwan NAS. Clinicopathological evaluation of nuclear DNA ploidy and hormone receptor contents of breast tumors. A PhD thesis. Baghdad 1998.
- Sinha S, Nath J, Mukherjee A, Chatterjee T. Predictive and Prognostic Factors in Breast Cancer and their association with ER PR Her2/ neu expression. J Carcinog Mutagen 2016; 7: 263.