Epidemiological Study if Infertile PCOS Women Underwent ICSI and their Related Outcomes
AbstractA prospective study carried out in Kirkuk city from February to October 2019, included 200 PCOS women who were enrolled attended Azadi Hospital to study the epidemiology the infertility of PCOS women underwent ICSI and their related outcomes. All women were subjected to the basic fertility work-up at the infertility center which consists of history taking, physical examination, ovulation detection, evaluation of tubal patency and uterine cavity. All couples subjected to a full history taking, complete general examination, complete gynecological examination and infertility workup including: husband’s seminal fluid analysis, basal hormonal analysis, uterine cavity assessment by ultrasound and tubal patency evaluation by hystrosalpingogram. The females were divided into 2 groups each consists of 100 females. The control group did not receive any ovarian stimulation drugs (natural cycle). In cases group, ovulation induction programs were used were stimulated by Clomid + gonadotropin. The ovarian stimulation protocol was chosen for each patient according to her age, history of stimulation treatment in previous cycles if present, hormonal assay and ultrasound finding in the early follicular phase. The study showed that the higher number and percentage of infertile PCOS women 33% at age 20-29 years. The study demonstrated that, majority of patients PCOS women were belonged to urban area. The study demonstrated that, 75% of PCOS have irregular cycle and 65% more liable for PCOS have (5-7) days of menstrual flow. The study showed than majority of studied women haven’t family history of PCOS (60%). The study showed that the highest mean of age were recorded among PCOS women who were pregnant compared with non-pregnant women (33.67 v.s 31.55 year) (P: > 0.05). The highest mean of BMI were recorded among non-pregnant women compared with pregnant women (26.55 v.s 23.45 kg/m2), the result was significant (P<0.01),
- Palomba S. Infertility in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Pathogenesis and Management. Springer; 2018 Feb 2.
- Sweed MS, El-Kady OS, AbdElSalam EA, Mostafa MM. Anti-Müllerian hormone and response to ovulation induction with clomiphene citrate in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Int J Reprod, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017 Feb 23;5(3):603-8
- Begum S, Hossain MZ, Rahman MF, Banu LA. Polycystic ovarian syndrome in women with acne. JPAD. 2017 Jan 4;22(1):24-9.
- Tehrani FR. Polycystic ovary syndrome: an apparently simple yet challenging diagnosis. International journal of endocrinology and metabolism. 2015 Jul;13(3).
- Bellanger S, Battista MC, Baillargeon JP. Insulin resistance and lipotoxicity in PCOS: Causes and consequences. In Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 2014 (pp. 95-115). Springer, New York, NY.
- Patel S. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), an inflammatory, systemic, lifestyle endocrinopathy. J steroid biochem mol boil. 2018 Apr 17.
- Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Dunaif A. Insulin resistance and the polycystic ovary syndrome revisited: an update on mechanisms and implications. Endocr rev. 2012 Oct 12;33(6):981-1030.
- Fulghesu AM, Porru C, Canu E. Diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in Adolescence. J pediatr adolesc gynecol. 2018 (pp. 143-159). Springer, Cham.
- De Leo V, Musacchio MC, Cappelli V, Massaro MG, Morgante G, Petraglia F. Genetic, hormonal and metabolic aspects of PCOS: an update. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2016 Dec;14(1):38.
- Mani H, Chudasama Y, Hadjiconstantinou M, et al. Structured education programme for women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomised controlled trial. Endoc connect. 2017 Nov 13:EC-17.
- Porter MB, Goldstein S. Pelvic Imaging in Reproductive Endocrinology. In Yen and Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology (Eighth Edition) 2019 (pp. 916-961).
- Azziz R, Adashi EY. Stein and Leventhal: 80 years on.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Feb 1;214(2):247-e1.
-Akgül S, Düzçeker Y, Kanbur N, Derman O. Do Different Diagnostic Criteria Impact Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Diagnosis for Adolescents?. J pediatr adolesc gynecol. 2018 Jun 1;31(3):258-62
-Agapova SE, Cameo T, Sopher AB, Oberfield SE. Diagnosis and challenges of polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescence. Semin reprodu med. 2014 May (Vol. 32, No. 3, p. 194). NIH Public Access.
-Carroll W, editor. Endocrinology, Diabetes & Inborn Errors of Metabolism: Prepare for the MRCPCH. Paediat Child Health J. 2016 Oct 14.
- Dumitrescu R, Mehedintu C, Briceag I, Purcarea VL, Hudita D. The polycystic ovary syndrome: an update on metabolic and hormonal mechanisms. J med life. 2015 Apr;8(2):142.
- Skiba MA, Islam RM, Bell RJ, Davis SR. Understanding variation in prevalence estimates of polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reproduc Update. 2018 Jul 27.
- Dumesic DA, Oberfield SE, Stener-Victorin E, Marshall JC, Laven JS, Legro RS. Scientific statement on the diagnostic criteria, epidemiology, pathophysiology, and molecular genetics of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr rev. 2015 Oct 1;36(5):487-525.
- Eccles A. Obstetrics and gynaecology in Tudor and Stuart England. Routledge. 2018.
- Elsedeek M, Elmaghraby H. Predictors and characteristics of letrozole induced ovulation in comparison with clomiphene induced ovulation in anovulatory PCOS women. Middle East Fertility Society Journal. 2011; 6(2): 125-130.
- Ahmeid M. Correlation between follicular fluid leptin and the pregnancy rate in women who underwent ICSI. Tikrit Med J. 2017; 22: 248-53.
- Hameed B, Ahmeid M. Serum follistatin and its role in intracytoplasmic sperm injection outcomes. Medical Journal of Babylon. 2019; 16(4): 302.
- Witz, C.A., Allsup, K.T., Montoya-Rodriguez, I.A., Vaughan, S.L., Centonze, V.E. and Schenken, R.S., 2003. Pathogenesis of endometriosis—current research. Human Fertility, 6(1), pp.34-40.
- Chun S, Seo J, Rim Y. Efficacy of hyaluronan-rich transfer medium on implantation and pregnancy rates in fresh and frozen-thawed blastocyst transfers in Korean women with previous implantation failure. Obstetrics & gynecology science. 2016; 59(3): 201-207.
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.