OCT Measurement of Peripapillary RNFL Thickness in Unilateral Amblyopic Eyes
AbstractBackground: Amblyopia is also called lazy eye, it is a faintness in the central vision of the eye, without an organic cause, or in a way that is not commensurate with the organic imperfection in the eye. Aim: The study aimed to evaluate the efficacy of OCT technique in the diagnosis of RNFL thickness in amblyopic patients. Material and method: A prospective cross-sectional hospital based study was performed in Al-Najaf Al-Ashraf province/Iraq through the period from January to September/2014. The study involves 30 patients (16 male and 14 female) with the age ranging from (10-40) years who suffering from unilateral amblyopia. Result: The thickness of inferior peripapillary RNFL was recorded thinner than those of normal eyes significantly with p-value ≤ 0.05. But, peripapillary RNFL thickness in nasal, superior and temporal types have no significant differences when compared with normal eyes. Conclusion: In brief, our results suggested that the peripapillary RNFL thickening was significantly affected in strabismic and anisometropic amblyopia. Further, instrumental and histo-pathological studies are required to confirm the differences between amblyopic and normal eyes.
-pmc journal (ncbi)of ophthalmology ,retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in amblyopic eyes. Published in april 13,2010
-Von –noorden GK ,classification of amblyopia AMJ ophthalmology
–IOVS journal (retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in unilateral amblyopia , may 2014).
-American academy (pediateric ophthalmology and strabismus) 2011-2012.
-PLOS/ONE journal ,morphological study of retinal changes in unilateral amblyopia using optical coherence tomography image segmentation.published in feb-6-2014.
-Ropper Hall G(2007). Current concept of amblyopia aneurophthalmology perspective.
-Jack J Kaniski clinical ophthalmology systematic approach,7th edition.
-Von –noorden GK ,Crawford MCJ,levacy R.A. lateral geniculate nucleus in human anisometropic amblyopia .1983.
-Von –noorden GK ,Crawford MCJ .lateral geniculate nucleus in human strabismus amblyopia.1992.
-Saudi journal ophthalmology, Unilateral amblyopia optical coherence tomography(October –december 2011,vol.25(4):405-409).
- Green field et-al.2000,effect of corneal polarization on assessment of retinal nerve fiber layer thickness by scanning laser polarimetry .AMJ ophthalmology 2000.
-Korean journal of ophthalmology(Thickness of macular retinal layer and peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer in hyperopic anisometropic amblyopia) published in 19 march 2005.
-Huang et al,1991 D Hung.EA swanson,c-ptin et al. Optical coherence tomography science(1991).
-Schuman et –al.1996 .( Reproducibility of nerve fiber layer thickness measurement using optical coherence tomography) .1996.
- Barnes GR, Li X, Thompson B, Singh KD, Dumoulin SO, Hess RF. Decreased gray matter concentration in the lateral geniculate nuclei in human amblyopes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51(3):1432–1438.
- Li T, Qureshi R, Taylor K (2019). "Conventional occlusion versus pharmacologic penalization for amblyopia". Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 8 (8).
- Cunningham ET, Riordan-Eva P (2011). Vaughan & Asbury's general ophthalmology (18th ed.). McGraw-Hill Medical.
- Zhou Y, Huang C, Xu P, Tao L, Qiu Z, Li X, Lu ZL (2006). "Perceptual learning improves contrast sensitivity and visual acuity in adults with anisometropic amblyopia". Vision Research. 46 (5): 739–50.
- Williams C, Northstone K, Harrad RA, Sparrow JM, Harvey I (2002). "Amblyopia treatment outcomes after screening before or at age 3 years: follow up from randomised trial". BMJ. 324 (7353): 1549.
-PMCID journal(peripapillary RNFL thickness,foveal thickness in hypermetropic anisometropic amblyopia)published 12 april 2014.
-PMCID journal (evaluation of peripapillary RNFL thickness,macula,and ganglion cell thickness in amblyopia using OCT) published feb.18.2013.
Repka MX, Kraker RT, Tamkins SM, Suh DW, Sala NA, Beck RW, Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group Retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in amblyopic eyes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148(1):143–147.
- Altintas O, Yüksel N, Ozkan B, Caglar Y. Thickness of the retinal nerve fiber layer, macular thickness, and macular volume in patients with strabismic amblyopia. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2005;42(4):216–221. [PubMed]
- Yuksel N ,Ozkan B ,Coglar Y ,(2005) journal of iphthalmology and strabismus.Kocali ,Turky.
-C. Baddini-Caramelli, M. Hatanaka, M. Polati, et al.Thickness of the retinal nerve fiber layer in amblyopic and normal eyes: a scannig laser polarimetry studyJ. AAPOS, 5 (2001), pp. 82–84
-Dickman A, petronis , perrotaV ParreillaR,Aliberti S ,et al (2012) measurement of RNFL thickness,macular thickness,foveal volume in amblyopiac eyes using OCT.
-Abtaibi AG, AL Enazi B(2011).unilateral amblyopia OCT finding.Saudi journal ophthalmology.
- Dickman A,petroni S,Salerni A,Parrilla et al(2011) morphofunctional study of amblyopic eyes. 25- Yoon SW, Park WH, Baek SH, Kong SM. Thicknesses of macular retinal layer and peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer in patients with hyperopic anisometropic amblyopia. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2005;19(1):62–67. [PubMed]
- Micheal x.Repka MD ,Nitza Goldenberg-cohen MD ,Allison R et al,(2006) RNFL thickness in amblyopia .american journal of ophthalmology.
- Yoon SW, Park WH, Baek SH, Kong SM. Thicknesses of macular retinal layer and peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer in patients with hyperopic anisometropic amblyopia. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2005;19(1):62–67. [PubMed]
Leung CK, Chiu V, Weinreb RN, et al. Evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer progression in glaucoma: a comparison between spectral-domain and time-domain optical coherence tomography. Ophthalmology. 2011;118(8):1558–1562. [PubMed]
Knight OJ, Chang RT, Feuer WJ, Budenz DL. Comparison of retinal nerve fiber layer measurements using time domain and spectral domain optical coherent tomography. Ophthalmology. 2009;116(7):1271–1277 [PubMed]
Eriksson U, Alm A. Macular thickness decreases with age in normal eyes: a study on the macular thickness map protocol in the Stratus OCT. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93(11):1448–1452. [PubMed]
Manassakorn A, Chaidaroon W, Ausayakhun S, Aupapong S, Wattananikorn S. Normative database of retinal nerve fiber layer and macular retinal thickness in a Thai population. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2008;52(6):450–456. [PubMed]
Lam DS, Leung KS, Mohamed S, et al. Regional variations in the relationship between macular thickness measurements and myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48(1):376–382. [PubMed]
Wu PC, Chen YJ, Chen CH, et al. Assessment of macular retinal thickness and volume in normal eyes and highly myopic eyes with third-generation optical coherence tomography. Eye (Lond) 2008;22(4):551–555. [PubMed]
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.