Relation Between Visfatin, Body Mass Index with Insulin Resistance in Type 2 Diabetic Iraqi Patients
AbstractBackground: Insulin resistance, obesity, sedentary lifestyle and type of food are considered to be a causative agent for predisposing of T2DM. Aim: To investigate the correlation between insulin resistance with BMI and the effect of Visfatin in this interaction (T2DM). Method: This project has two groups, a control healthy group consist of 200 volunteers and a second group of 200 T2DM patients who were documented according to WHO criteria. HOMA-IR, FBG and BMI were measured. Results: A significant relationship between T2DM and IR was observed, additionally to a significant relationship between visfatin level and blood glucose level. Conclusion: T2DM is associated with insulin resistance which has many predisposing factors like obesity, sedentary lifestyle and type of food style, visfatin is an adipokine with an insulin-mimetic action that tends to increase insulin sensitivity and reduces blood glucose level and this clarifies the elevated level of Visfatin in such T2DM.
- BIDDINGER, S. B. & KAHN, C. R. 2006. From mice to men: insights into the insulin resistance syndromes. Annu Rev Physiol, 68, 123-58.
- KOSTOVSKI, M., SIMEONOVSKI, V., MIRONSKA, K., TASIC, V. & GUCEV, Z. 2018. Metabolic Profiles in Obese Children and Adolescents with Insulin Resistance. Open Access Maced J Med Sci, 6, 511-518.
- NOROUZI, S., ADULCIKAS, J., SOHAL, S. S. & MYERS, S. 2018. Zinc stimulates glucose oxidation and glycemic control by modulating the insulin signaling pathway in human and mouse skeletal muscle cell lines. PLoS One, 13, e0191727.
- FUKUHARA, A., MATSUDA, M., NISHIZAWA, M., et al. 2005. Visfatin: a protein secreted by visceral fat that mimics the effects of insulin. Science, 307, 426-30.
-TABASSUM, A., ZAIDI, S. N. F., YASMEEN, K. & MAHBOOB, T. 2018. Potential role of peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma activation on serum visfatin and trace elements in high fat diet induced type 2 diabetes mellitus. Life Sci, 205, 164-175.
- SRINIVASAN, M., MEADOWS, M. L. & MAXWELL, L. 2018. Assessment of Salivary Adipokines Resistin, Visfatin, and Ghrelin as Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Biomarkers. Biochem Res Int, 2018, 7463796.
-PAVLOVA, T., ZLAMAL, F., SPLICHAL, Z., TOMANDL, J., HODICKA, Z., VENTRUBA, P. & BIENERTOVA-VASKU, J. 2018. Umbilical cord blood and maternal visfatin (PBEF/NAMPT) concentrations in preterm birth with and without preterm premature rupture of membranes. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med, 31, 1811-1818.
- LUIZON, M. R., PALEI, A. C. T., BELO, V. A., et al. 2017. Gene-gene interactions in the NAMPT pathway, plasma visfatin/NAMPT levels, and antihypertensive therapy responsiveness in hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. Pharmacogenomics J, 17, 427-434.
- ICIEK, R., BRAZERT, M., WENDER-OZEGOWSKA, E., PIETRYGA, M. & BRAZERT, J. 2018. Low placental visfatin expression is related to impaired glycaemic control and fetal macrosmia in pregnancies complicated by type 1 diabetes. J Physiol Pharmacol, 69, 61-66.
- MCGEE, K. C., HARTE, A. L., DA SILVA, N. F., et al. 2011. Visfatin is regulated by rosiglitazone in type 2 diabetes mellitus and influenced by NFkappaB and JNK in human abdominal subcutaneous adipocytes. PLoS One, 6, e20287.
- BROWN, J. E., ONYANGO, D. J., RAMANJANEYA, M., CONNER, A. C., PATEL, S. T., DUNMORE, S. J. & RANDEVA, H. S. 2010. Visfatin regulates insulin secretion, insulin receptor signalling and mRNA expression of diabetes-related genes in mouse pancreatic beta-cells. J Mol Endocrinol, 44, 171-8.
- IWASA, T., MATSUZAKI, T., MATSUI, S., et al. 2016. The sensitivity of adipose tissue visfatin mRNA expression to lipopolysaccharide-induced endotoxemia is increased by ovariectomy in female rats. Int Immunopharmacol, 35, 243-247.
- KIM, D. S., KANG, S., MOON, N. R. & PARK, S. 2014. Central visfatin potentiates glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and beta-cell mass without increasing serum visfatin levels in diabetic rats. Cytokine, 65, 159-66.
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.