THE STUDY OF PRIMARY PULM ONARY HYPERTENTION, CLINICAL, ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY AND CATHETERIZATION ASSESSEMENT
AbstractBACKGROUND: A Retrospective study of 31 patients who diagnosed as a case of primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH) in Ibn-Albitar hospital for cardiac surgery, from July 1999 to April 2007, to study the clinical pattern of PPH in children and adult, who diagnosed as acase of PPH clinically and echocardiographically and confirmed by diagnostic cardiac catheterization. Patient and Method: This study excluded cases of secondary PAH and those without catheterization. Two cases excluded from PPH cases (one patent ductus arteriosus-eisenminger`s syndrome and other is large sinus venosus atrial septal defect). These data were collected from medical files or catheterization files, including:(age, gender, duration of symptoms before reaching diagnosis of PPH, number of hospital admissions, signs, and symptoms of PPH, echocardiographic findings), considering pediatric age group ≤ 18year and adult >18year, and the catheterization data were: way of reaching final diagnosis in catheterization, severity of PAH and mean of MRAP, MPAP) also morbidity and mortality. Conclusions :the pediatric cases tend to present earlier than adult cases, Females cases more than males cases. The duration of symptoms before catheterization was short, and it was shorter in adult cases. The most common symptoms in pediatrics are(cyanosis, fatigability, and extensional dyspnea), while in adult (exertional dyspnea, chest pain and fatigability).The most common signs in pediatrics are (normal physical examination, loud second heart sound and murmur)while in adult (murmur, dyspnea, loud second heart sound). The catheterization approach to reach definite diagnosis in most pediatrics (by normal pulmonary capillary wedge pressure) while in adult (by exclusion secondary causes). Recommendations: atrial septal defect-sinus venosus should be considered in exclusion list of secondary PAH, familial cases need genetic analysis, loud second heart sound is important clue for PPH, especially if associated with dyspnea on exertion. Pregnancy still wanted by certain families, and counseling for patients and their families regarding risk of pregnancy is essential.
- Joseph K. Perloff, MD; The clinical Recognition of Congenital Heart disease, 5th edition, p 216-232.
- Braunwald, Zippes, Lippy; Heart disease, A Textbook of Cardiovascular medicine, 7th edition, P 1816-1844.
- Bachinskaia EN, Nonikov VE, Diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary Hypertension: Current Concept; kardiologiia. 2005; 45(6) 81 – 6.
- Ronald J., Qudiz, MD: Pulmonary Hypertension, Primary emedicine. May, 19, 2006.
- Anne M. Keogh, Keith D Meneil, Trevor Williams, Ei Gabbay and Laslie G Cleland: PA-HT: A new era in management, MJA 2003; 178 (11): 564 – 567.
- Simonnen G, Galie N, and Rubin LJ: Clinical classification of PHT: J Am Coll cardiol .2004 Jun 16; 43 (12 supp 15): S S-12 S.
- Moss and Adams, Heart disease in Infant, Children and adolescent including the fetus and young adult, 6th edition p1311-1361.
- Rich S, Dantzker DR, Ayres Sm et al: PPH: A national prospective study, Ann Intern Med 107: 216, 1987.
- Davinder Jassal, MD, B Sc, FACC, FRCPC: Pulmonary Hypertension, emedicine; March 1, 2004.
- Anne M Keogh, Keith D McNeil, Trevor Williams, Eli Gabbay and Leslie G Cleland Pulmonary arterial hypertension: a new era in management MJA 2003; 178 (11): 564-567
- Sean P Gaine, Lewis J Rubin: PPH: Lancet 1998; 352: 719-25.
- Islam MN, Bashar MA, Zafar A: PPH: clinical, echocardiographic and Homodynamic feature in 14 patients, Bangladesh med Res Counc (Bull. 1993 Dec; 19 (3): 113 -27.
- Sen Gupta A., Auto J, Pawape G.: Unexplained PHT in children in the high lands of papa New Guinea. PNG Med J. 1995 Mar; 38 (1): 45-51.
- Nelson, Textbook of pediatrics, 17th edition, 2004, P.1408-1409.
- Halank M, Marxc, Hoeffken G. Long term survival in PPH. Heart 2004 Jul; 90 (7): e 40.
- Zhang J, Wang G, Wang Q.Clinical primary pulmonary hypertension: a retrospective study of 50 cases.Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi.1996 May;35(5):322-5.
- Bossone E,Duong-Wagner TH,Paciocco G. Echocardiographic features of primary pulmonary hypertension.: J Am Soc Echocardiogr.1999 Aug; 12(8):655-62.
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.