The frequency of enteric fever among children in Al-Nasseriah city/Iraq and their relation to the zinc and copper levels
AbstractSummary Enteric fever is characterized by severe systemic illness. The leading cause of the syndrome of enteric fever is Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi (in the past S. Typhi). Other Salmonella serovars, chiefly S. enterica serotype paratyphi A, B, or C, can be a source of comparable syndrome. The aim of this study is detects the occurrence of enteric fever among children in Thi-Qar province and detect the zinc and cooper levels in their serum and their relative to infection. The total of (327) blood specimens collected from children suspected anguish from enteric fever and (35) children as control group, the identification of the disease was depending on clinical signs and using immune chromatography kits. While, the trace elements levels was detected by commercial kits. The results shown that the illness was detected in 50 (15.29%)of children, the number of infected males was 28 (56.0%). While female 22 (44%) from infected children with no significant differences under (P<0.05). The zinc level of infected child was ( 136.2 ± 46.99 std.) µg/dl in compared with control group ( 120.04±21.20) µg/dl .The copper levels was (117.88±19.12) µg/dl and in control group was ( 111.85±27.09) µg/dl and the results were not significant under ( P<0.05 ) between infected and control groups. In brief, the rate of enteric fever was high among children under this study and there is no significant differences among children gender and trace elements levels with infection under study.
- Kenneth, J.R. and Ray, C.G. (2004) . Sherris, Medical Microbiology ( An Introduction to Infectious Diseases ). 4th ed. McGraw-Hill.
- Crunp, J.A.; Luby, S.P. and Mintz, E.D. (2004). The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull. WHO.82(5): 346-53.
- Brooks, G.F., Carroll K.C., Butel J.S. and Morse S.A. (2007 ). Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology . 20th ed.McGraw-Hill Companies .
- Forbes, B.A., Sahm, D.F. and Weissfeld, A.S. ( 2007). Bailey and Scottʹs, Diagnostic Microbiology. 12th ed. Mosby Elsevier.
- Kayser, F.H., Bienz, K.A., Eckert, J. and Zinkernagel, R.M. (2005). Medical Microbiology. 11 ed. Georg Thieme Verlag.
- Brigham, N., Lerner, K.L. and Lerner, B.W. (2003). World of Microbiology and Immunology. 1ist ed. Thomson-Gale Group,
- Haase , H. and Rink , L. ( 2009 ) . The immune system and the impact of zinc during aging . Immunity & Ageing 6:9 . ( abstract )
- Shankar, A.H. and Prasad, A.S. (1998) . Zinc and immune function: The biological basis of altered resistance to infection. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 68: 447-463.
- Walker, C.F. and Black, R.E. (2004) . Zinc and the risk for infectious disease . Ann. Rev. Nut. 24: 255-275
- Muñoz, C., Rios, E., Olivos, J., Brunser, O. and Olivares, M. (2007). Iron, copper and immune-competence. Br. J. Nutr. 98 (l 1):24-28
- Kramer, T.R. and Johnson, W.T. (1992) .Copper and immunity. In Nutrient Modulation of the Immune Response, Edited by S. Cunningham-Rundles, Marcel Dekker, Inc., pp. 239-254.
- Kelley, D.S., Daudu, P.A., Taylor, P.C., Mackey, B.E. and Turnlund, J.R. ( 1995). Effects of low-copper diets on human immune response. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 62: 612-616.
- Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response Vaccines and Biologicals (2003). Background document: The diagnosis, treatment and prevention of typhoid fever. WHO.
- Owais, A., Sultana, S., Zaman, U., Rizvi, A. and Zaidi, A.K. (2010). Incidence of typhoid bacteremia in infants and young children in southern coastal Pakistan. Pediat. Infect. Dis. J. 29(11):1035-9.
- Zailani, S.B., Aboderin, A.O. and Onipede, A.O. (2004). Effect of socio-economic status, age and sex on antibody titre profile to Salmonella typhi/paratyphi in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Niger. J. Med.13(4):383-7.
- House, D., Wain, J., Ho, V.A., Diep, T.S., Chinh, N.T., Bay. P.V., Vinh, H., Duc, M., Parry, C.M., Dougan, G., White, N.J., Hien, T.T. and Farrar, J.J. (2001). Serology of typhoid fever in an area of endemicity and its relevance to diagnosis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 39(3):1002.
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.