ISOLATION AND SEROTYPING OF SALMONELLA SPECIES IN DIARRHEAL CHILDREN
AbstractThis study was carried out to isolate Salmonella species from children, 170 fecal samples were collected from children aged (5-12) years of both sexes that had suffering from diarrhea in Teaching laboratories of Al- Hussein Hospital in Thi-Qar governorate. Nineteen isolates were diagnosed as genus Salmonella and ensured by National center of Salmonella in Baghdad, five Salmonella serotypes were determined as (Salmonella typhimurium (8) (42.1%), S.braenderup (6) (31.58%), S.hadar (3) (15.78%), S.eneritidis (1) (5.27%), and S. munchen (1) (5.27%). The results revealed that the rate of Salmonella isolates in fecal samples of children was (11.17%). According to gender of children the rate of Salmonella isolates was (68.42%) in males and (31.58%) in females. In respect to the rate of Salmonella isolation in different age of children; age (5-8) years showed the highest rate respectively. This article is a part of master thesis
- Polo, F.; Figueras; M.J.; Inza, I.; Sala, J.; Fleisher, J.M. and Guarro, J. (1999). Prevalence of Salmonella serotypes in environmental waters and their relationships with indicator organisms. Antonie von Leeuwenhoek.,75:285292.
- Medeiros, M.I.; Neme, S.N.; Da Silva, P.; Capuano, D.M.; Errera, M.C.; Fernandes, S.A.; Do Valle, G.R.; and De Avila, F.A. (2001). Etiology of acute diarrhea among children in Ribeiro Preto-SP, Brazil. Rev. Inst. Med .Trop. Sao Paulo., 43: 21-24.
- Obi, C.L. and Bessong, P.O. (2002). Diarrhoeagenic bacterial pathogens in HIV-positive patients with diarrhoea in rural communities of Limpopo Province, South Africa. Journal of Health Popular Nutrition., 20: 230-234.
- Noda, T.; Murakami, K.; Ishiguro, Y. and Asai, T. (2010). Chicken meat is an infection source of Salmonella serovar Infantis for humans in Japan. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease., 7(6): 1-9.
- Hald, T.; Lofo Wong, D.M. and Aarestrup, F.M. (2007). The attribution of human infections with antimicrobial resistant Salmonella bacteria in Denmark to sources of animal origin. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease., 4: 313-326.
- Wales, A.D.; Allen, V.M. and Davies, R.H. (2010). Chemical treatment of animal feed and water for the control of Salmonella. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease., 7(1): 1-15
- Galanis, E.; Lofo Wong, D.M. and Patrick, M.E. (2006). Web based surveillance and global Salmonella typhimurium InvA family of protein. Infection and Immunity., 63: 729-732.
- Popoff, M.Y.; Bockemuhl, J. and Gheesling, L.L. (2004). Supplement 2002 to the Kauffman–White scheme. Res. Microbiol., 155: 568-570.
- Quinn, P.J.; Carter, M.E.; Markey, B. and Carter, G.R. (2004). Clinical Veterinary Microbiology. 6th Ed. Mosby an imp. Wolf, London.
- Cherneck, C.C. and Berger, B.J. (2008). '' Salmonella: Rectal Culture, Swab Diagnostic'' In: Laboratory Test and Diagnostic Procedures. 5th Ed. Published by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier Inc.
- Jawetz, J.; Melnick, E. and Adelbergs, E. (2007). ''Enterobacteriaceae'' In: Review of Medical Microbiology. 24th Ed. Edited by Geo, F.; Janet S. and Stephen, M.c. Graw–Hill companies, U.S.A., Pp:256-261.
- Winn, W.J.; Allen, S.D.; Jauda, W.M.; Koneman, E.W.; Procop, G.W.; Schreckenberger, P.C. and Woods, G. L. (2007). '' Koneman's '' Color Atlas and Text Book of Diagnostic Microbiology. 6th Ed. Chapter 6, Lippincott – Williams and Wilkins Publisher. Philadelphia. Newyork., Pp: 211-258.
- Leboffe, M.J. and Piercr, B.E. (2005). Aphotographic Atlas for the "Microbiology Laboratory". 3rd Ed. Chapter 6, Douglas N. Morton. U.S.A., Pp: 45- 46.
- Collins, C.H. and Lyne, P.M. (1987). Microbiological Methods. 5th Ed. Butteworths Co. UK.
- Al-Kaby, F.J. (2000). A Study on diarrhoea in relation to malnutrition in children under 2 years in Baghdad. M.Sc. thesis, Medicine College /AL –Mustansiriya University- Iraq.
- Al-Janabi, J.K. (2001). Identification of Salmonellae spp in children infected with diarrhea in AL-Diwaniya City. M.Sc. thesis, Education College/ AL-Qadissiyah University, Iraq.
- Al-Taayi, Z.Q. (2002). Role of animal salmonellosis as causative agents of diarrhea in children in Baghdad City. M.Sc. thesis, Vet. Med. College/ University of Baghdad- Iraq.
- Al-Shamaa, S.D. (2001). Isolation and purification of enterotoxis from diarrheal cases in Mosul City. Ph.D thesis, college of Science, University of Mosul - Iraq.
- Rowe, J.S.; Shah, S.S.; Motlhagodi, S.; Bafana, M.; Tawanana, E.; Truong, H.T.; Wood, S.M.; Zetola, N.M. and Steenhoff, A.P. (2010). An Epidemiologic review of enteropathogens in Gaborone, Botswana: Shifting Patterns of resistance in an HIV Endemic Region. PLoS one 5 (6).
- Czerwinski, M.; Czarkowski, M.P. and Baumann, A. (2008). Salmonellosis in Poland in 2006. Przegl. Epidemiol., 62(2): 301-310.
- Cooper,G.L.(1994).Salmonellosis infection in man and the chicken: Pathogenesis and the development of live vaccines-a review.Vet. Bull.,64: p123
- Siriken, B. (2004). The microbiological quality of ground beef in Aydin and Afyon provinces, Turkey. Revuede Medecine Veterinaire. 155 (12): 632-636.
- Norhana, M.N.; Poole, S.E.; Deeth, H.C. and Dykes, G.A. (2010). Prevalence, persistence and control of Salmonella and Listeria in shrimp and shrimp products: A Review. Food Control. J., 21: 343-361.
- Oie, (2008). Manual of diagnostic tests and vaccines for Terrestrial Manual: Salmonellosis. Chapter 2. World Organization for Animal Health. Pp: 1267.
- World Health Organization. (1997). Poor sanitation: global magnitude to the problem. Environ. Health Newsletter.27, suppl: 4.
- Goldberg, M.B. and Rubin, R.H. (1988).The spectrum of Salmonella infection. infect. Dis. Clin. North. Ann., 2: 571.
- Bartlett, C.L.R. (1996). An overview of emerging food born and water borne disease. J. East. Mediteran. Health.,2 :51-60.
- Al-Hayali, G.M.F. (1993). Salmonellosis in Iraq, Afive years review 1985- 1989. Diploma thesis, College of Medicine / AL- Nahrian
- Al-Hamadawi, A.T.G. (2004). Effect of antibiotic on Enterobacteriaceae which isolations and identifications from diarrheic children in AL-Diwaniya City. M.Sc. thesis, Education College/AL-Qadissiyah University - Iraq.
- Al-Janabi, J.K. (2006). Microbiological study of some causative agents of diarrhea in children under five year of age in AL-Diwaniya City. Ph.D. thesis, AL-Qadissiyah University - Iraq.
Copyright (c) 2021 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.