PREVALENCE OF SUBCLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC RENAL DISEASE IN AL-NASSIRYAH CITY
AbstractBackground : Subclinical hypothyroidism is highly prevalent in the general populations especially in elderly, however ,the prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in persons with chronic kidney disease is not well studied . Design : Cross sectional data from ( 245 ) persons , 110 persons of them considered as a control group and other persons (135 )with chronic kidney disease , all of them were collected from ( 1-9-2010 to 1-7-2011 ) in Al – Hussein teaching hospital ( out patient and inpatient ). All patients and control group were routinely referred for thyroid function tests , renal function test ( in form of plasma creatinine) and estimation of glomerular filtration rate ( GFR ). Multivariable logistic study was used to evaluate the independent association between prevalent subclinical hypothyroidism and estimated GFR . Results : Among ( 245 ) adult participants with serum creatinine , GFR and thyroid function test results , the mean age for both groups were ( 58 ± 4 ) year , 148 male while 97 of those were female. The prevelance of subclinical hypothyroidism increased specially with lower GFR ( in unit of ml / min. / 1.73 m2 ) , occurring in 7.5 % of subject with GFR (60 – 90 ml /min.) while those patients with GFR less than ( 60 ml / min.) the prevalence were increased to 16.5 % ( P < 0.001 ). The control group were 110 persons , only 3 participant with subclinincal hypothyroidism ( 2 % ). A significant difference when we compared patient with chronic kidney disease and control group ( P < 0.001 ).
- Ramirez , Jubiz , W , Gutch , CF, etal . thyroid abnormalities in renal disease .
-Castellano M, Turconi A , chaler E , Maceives M , Rivavda MA , Belgorosky A. thyroid function and thyroid binding protein with chronic renal failure S.pediatr 1996 Jun, 128 (6) : 784-90 .
- Thyroid hormone in end stage renal diseases Kapton EM , Quion verde …….
- Lin CC , chen TW , Ng YY , Chon YH , Yong thyroid dysfunctions and nodular goiter in hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis . perit dial int 1998 sep-oct. , 18(5), 516-21
- Kaptein EM , Quion – verde H , chooljian CJ , Tang ww , ..etal . the thyroid in end stage renal failure , medicine ( Baltimove) 1988 May , 67 (3) : 187-97 .
- Spaulding , SW, Gregerman , RI , free thyroxin in serum by equal dialysis 1989 Jun., 99 (6) : 224- 64 .
- Medri G, Carella C , Padmano V ,… etal pituitary glycoprotein hormone in chronic renal failure 1993 Nov. , 16 (3) : 169-74 .
- Santini f, chiovotol , Bartalena L, …etal , study of serum triiodothyronin sulfate concentration in patient with non thyroidal illness . Eur. J endocrinal 1996 Jan. 134 (1) : 45-9
-Wiederkehr MR , Kalogiros J , Krapf R correct of metabolic acidosis improves thyroid and growth hormone axes in hemodialysis patient Nephrol Dial transplant 2004 may 19 (5) , 190-7 . Epub 2004 feb. 19.
-Spaulding , SW, Gregerman , RI , free thyroxin in serum by equilibrium dialysis , effect of dilution . J. clin endocrinal metabolism 1972 , 34: 974 .
- Hochstetler , LA , flanigon MJ , Lim VS abnormal endocrine test in hemodialysis patient Jam sac nephrol 1994 April , 4 (10) , 1754 – 9 .
- Herschman , JM , Jones , CM, Bailay ,Al . Reciprocal changes in serum thyrotropin produced by heparin. J clin.endocrine metab. 1972 , 34 : 574
- Zoccoli C, Tripepig , low triiodothyronin a new focet of inflammation in end stage renal diseases. JAM soc Nephrel 2005 sep. , 16 (9) , 2789-95 , Epub 2005 Jul.20
- Zocolic , Mollamacif. Low triiodothyronine and survival in end stage renal disease. Kidney int. 2006 Aug. 70 (3) , 523-8 , Equb 2006 Jul. 14.
- Lim Vs , Flanigon MJ Zavala DC , Freeman RM . protective adaptation of low T3 in patient with chronic renal failure . Kidney int 1985 sep. , 28 (3) , 541-9 .
- Czernichew P, Dauzet MC, Broyer M. abnormal TSH , prolactine and growth hormone response to TSH in chronic renal failure . J. Clin. Endocr. Metabo. 1976 sep. 43 (3) 1630-7
- Duntash , Wolf Sf , Keck FS . TRH , pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties in chronic renal failure clin. Nephrology 1992 oct , 38 (4) 214-8.
- posqualini T, Zantleifer D , Balzoretti M. evidence of hypothalamic -pituitary thyroid abnormalities in children with end stage renal failure . J.pediatic 1991 , June , 118 (6) : 873-8.
-Wheatley T, Clerk PM , Clerk JD , Holde R, abnormality of TSH evening raise and pulsatile release in hemodialysis patients . clin. Endocrinal (oxf.) 1989 Jul, 31 (1) , 39-50 .
- Spector DA , Dovis PJ , Heldeman JH . thyroid function and metabolic rate in chronic renal failure . Ann intern. Med. 1976 Dec. , 85 (6) : 724-30 .
- Randox . Bartels , H. Bohmer , M. (1972) clin.chem. Acta 37 : 193 .
- Beirsack H.J. Hotze A. the clinician and the thyroid . Eur. J. Nucl .Med. 1991 ,18 : 761-778.
- Formerly Zilva . Pannall . Mayne . Clin. Chem. In diagnosis and treatment 6 th edition 1994 , 18 (1) .
- Drazen , Gill , Griggs, …etal . Cecil textbook of Med. , Clin.manefes. of hypothyroidism , 21 th. Edition 2004 , 239 : 1401-3.
- Chonchol M. , Litti G. , Salvgno G., ..etal , prevelance of subclinical hypothyroidism in patient with chronic kidney disese , Clin. , J . Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2008 , sep. , 3 (5) : 1296-300.