PREVALENCE AND RELATED RISK FACTORS FOR GIARDIA LAMBLIA INFECTION AMONG CHILDREN WITH ACUTE DIARRHEA IN THI- QAR , SOUTHERN IRAQ
AbstractThe aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and to identify the risk factors associated with Giardia lamblia infection among diarrheic children who had been attended outpatient department of maternity and children teaching hospital for acute diarrhea and dehydration in Thi- Qar , Southern Iraq. Fecal samples were collected from ( 396 ) children aged from( 0 – 120 ) months and were examined by direct wet preparation and floatation method . Data relating to sociodemographic , environment and host were also collected by questionnaire. Giardia lamblia were present in faces of ( 94) diarrheic children ( 23 . 7% ) . The age group ( 24 – 48) month had the highest rate of infection ( 33 .3% ). Male had higher rate of infection than female ( 24. 7% vs 22.5% ) respectively . Living in rural area , low education level of mothers , drinking raw or municipal water , hot seasons ,living with four or more house hold children were significantly associated with Giardia lamblia infection ( p < 0.05 ). Based on the results of this study , it is concluded that the high prevalence of Giardia lamblia infection among children with acute diarrhea is a significant public health problem in Thi-Qar.
- Walsh JA , Warren KS. Selective primary health care: an interim strategy for disease control in developing countries . N Engl J Med 1979 ; 301 : 967 – 74 .
- Snyder JD, Merson MH . The magnitude of global problem of acute diarrheal disease : a review of active surveillance data . Bull World Health Organ . 1982 ; 60 : 605 -13 .
- Keating JP. Giardiasis In : Fiegin RD, Cherry JD, eds. Text book of pediatric Infectious diseases, 4th ed . Philadelphia , WB Saunders 1998 : 2400- 3.
- Ortega YR , Adam RD . Giardia : over view and update clinical infectious diseases 1997 ; 25 : 245 – 50 .
- Reitmeyer M , Robertson S . Giardiasis .Chief medical resident clinical medicine conferences 1996- 97 . Charlottesville, Virginia , university of Virginia ,1997 .
- Brown HW , Neva FA . Basic clinical parasitology , 5th ed , Appleton Century Croft , New York , 1983: 43- 46 .
- Dubey R et al . Intestinal giardiasis : an unusual cause for hypoproteineimia . Indian J of gastroenterology 2000; 19(1) : 365-73.
- WHO . Interdisciplinary consultation on development of national food safety program . WHO 1992; 19 / E/ L : 1- 2 .
- Mahdi NK , Sharief M. Giardia lamblia and gastroenteritis in preschool children in Basra . Indian J of parasitology 1988 ; 12 (2) : 339 – 342 .
- Al- Jeboori TI , Shafiq M A. Intestinal parasite in Baghdad : Survey in two districts . J Fac Med Baghdad 1967; 9:73 – 83 .
- Al- Dabagh MA , Shaheen AS ,Zeki LA , Abdullah M. Giardiasis in group of preschool age children in Iraq .J Fac Med Baghdad , 1967 ; 9 (2) : 73 – 78 .
- Al-Saeed AT , Issa SH .Frequency of Giardia lamblia among children in Dohok , northern Iraq .East Medit Health J, 2006 ; 12 (5) : 555 – 561 .
- World Health Organization 1988 : persistent diarrhea in children in developing countries . Memorandum from WHO meeting .Bull WHO, 66 ,708- 717 .
- New man RD , Moore SR , Lima AM et al .A longitudinal study of Giardia lamblia in north –east Brazilian children. Trop Med Int Health 2001 ; 6 : 624 – 634 .
- Magambo Jk , Zeyhle E, Wachira TM. Prevalence of intestinal parasite among children in southern Sudan . East Afr Med J 1998 ; 75 : 383 – 90 .
- Ozelik S , poyraz O , Saygi G , Ozturkcan S . prevalence of intestinal parasite in children of the orphan – age in Sivas , Turkey . Ind pediatr 1995;32: 230 – 232 .
- Al – Eissa YA, Assuhaimi SA , Abdullah AM et al .prevalence of intestinal parasite in Saudi children: a community based study . J Trop Pediatr 1995 ; 41 : 47 – 9 .
- Chavalittamrong B , Jirapinyo P . Intestinal parasites in pediatric patients with diarrheal disease in Bangkok . South East Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1984; 15 : 385 – 8 .
- Filipinas F , Corazon C et al . Prevalence rates of Giardia and Cryptosporidium among diarrheic patients in the Philippines . South East Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2008; 39 : 991 – 999 .
- Hellard ME et al . Prevalence of enteric pathogens among community based asymptomatic individuals . Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology 2000 ; 15 (3) : 290 - 3 .
- Chunge RN , Nagelkerken N, Karumba PN et al . Longitudinal study of young children in Kenya : intestinal parasitic infection with special reference to Giardia lamblia , it´s prevalence , incidence and duration and association with diarrhea and with other parasite. Acta Trop 1991 ;50 :39– 49.
- Isaac – Rentou JL , Lewis LF ,Ong CS , Nulsen MF . A second community outbreak of water born giardiasis in Canada and serological investigation of patient . Tran R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1994 ; 88:395-9 .
- Faubert G. Immune response to G. duodenalis . Clin Microbiol Rev 2000; 13 : 35 – 54 .
- Gifuentes E, Goomez M, Blumenthal U et al . Risk factors for G. intestinalis infection in agricultural villages practicing waste water irrigation in Mexico . Am J Trop Med Hyg 2000; 62 : 388- 92.
- Jassim BA , Al – Dujaily AA, Saleh MM . prevalence of intestinal parasite in school children of Kirkuk city, Iraq . J Bio Sci Res 1986 ; 17 :119 – 125.
- Spinelli R, Brandonisio O, Serio G et al . Intestinal parasites in healthy subjects in Albania . Eur J Epidemio 2006 ; 21 : 161 -166 .
- Okyay P, Ertng S , Gultekin B, Onen O ,Berser E. Intestinal parasites prevalence and related risk factors in school children , a western city sample Turkey. BMC public Health 2004 ;4: 64 .
- Karrar ZA, Rahim FA . prevalence and risk factors of parasitic infection among under five Sudanese children a community based study .East Afr Med J 1995; 72: 103 – 9.
- Rinne S, Rodas EJ , Galer – Unti R , Glickman N, Glickman LT . prevalence and risk factors for protozon and nematode among children in Ecuadorian highland community . Tran R Soc Trop Med Hgy 2005 ; 99: 585 – 92 .
- Hacettepe university institute of population studies : Turkish demographic health survey (TDHS) Ankara , 1998.
- Jakubowski W. Giardia and Cryptosporidium .The details safe drinking water act seminar U.S . Environmental protection Agency ,1997.
- Zuckerman U, Armen R, Tzipori S, Gold D . Evaluation of portable differential continuous flow centrifuge for concentration of Cryptosporidium oocyst and Giardia cyst from water . J App Microbiol 1999; 86 : 955- 61.
- Faust EC , Beaver PC , Jung RC. Animal agents and vectors of human disease . 4th ed . Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger , 1978 ; 225 – 7.
- Hoque ME , Hope VT , Scragg R , Kjellstron T .Children at risk of giardiasis in Auckland : a case – control analysis . Epidemiol Intec 2003 ; 131 : 655 – 62
- Kent Gp ,Greenspan JR ,Herndon JL et al .Epidemic giardiasis caused by a contaminated public water supply . Amr J public Health 1988; 78 : 139 – 143 .
Copyright (c) 2022 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.