Estimation the Level of Interferon Gamma for Diabetic Patients Infected with Toxoplasmosis in Thi-Qar Province / Southern Iraq
AbstractToxoplasma is considered one of the most widespread parasites in the world and causes toxoplasmosis. What distinguishes this disease is that it is asymptomatic and is considered immunocompromised, the most vulnerable group to it, such as diabetic patients, because their bodies do not secrete the hormone insulin that helps in diabetes metablism. Therefore, the metabolic activity in their body is considered weak relative to healthy people. The current study were used the ELISA technique to find out the frequency of T.gondii in diabetic individuals and their relationship to IFN-Y and the effect of this cytokine on diabetic patients with toxoplasmosis by collecting 266 samples from Diabetic patients and 125 from healthy people, the study showed 35% of diabetic patients infected with chronic Toxoplasmosis. This study were showed a high level of IFN- γ in diabetic patients infected with toxoplasmosis (37.4 IU/ml) compared to diabetic patients without toxoplasmosis (16 IU/ml) .
-Dubey, J. P., Cerqueira-Cézar, C. K., Murata, F. H. A., Verma, S. K., Kwok, O. C. H., Pedersen, K., et al. (2020). White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) are a reservoir of a diversity of Toxoplasma gondii strains in the USA and pose a risk to consumers of undercooked venison. Parasitology 147, 775–781.
-Flegr, J., Prandota, J., Sovičková, M., & Israili, Z. H. (2014). Toxoplasmosis–a global threat. Correlation of latent toxoplasmosis with specific disease burden in a set of 88 countries. PloS one, 9(3), e90203.
-Montazeri, M., Mikaeili Galeh, T., Moosazadeh, M., Sarvi, S., Dodangeh, S., Javidnia, J., ... & Daryani, A. (2020). The global serological prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in felids during the last five decades (1967–2017): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Parasites & vectors, 13(1), 1-10.
-Nosaka, K., Hunter, M., & Wang, W. (2020). The association between Toxoplasma gondii and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of human case-control studies. Bulletin of the National Research Centre, 44(1), 1-9.
-Soltani, S., Tavakoli, S., Sabaghan, M., Kahvaz, M. S., Pashmforosh, M., & Foroutan, M. (2021). The Probable Association between Chronic Toxoplasma gondii Infection and Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Case-Control Study. Interdisciplinary perspectives on infectious diseases, 2021.
6-Nosaka, K., Hunter, M., Zhang, J., Meng, X., Song, M., & Wang, W. (2020). First age-and gender-matched case-control study in Australia examining the possible association between Toxoplasma gondii infection and type 2 diabetes mellitus: the busselton health study. Journal of parasitology research, 202 0
-Castro, F., Cardoso, A. P., Gonçalves, R. M., Serre, K., & Oliveira, M. J. (2018). Interferon-gamma at the crossroads of tumor immune surveillance or evasion. Frontiers in immunology, 9, 847.
-127- Ernst, D. J. (2017). GP41 collection of diagnostic venous blood specimens
- Seydel,G.S. ; Guzelgu,F.(2021). The effect of hemoglobin variants on high-performance liquid chromatography measurements of glycated hemoglobin. Int J Med Biochem ;4(1):25-28
- Knapp, S. (2013). Diabetes and infection: Is there a link?-A mini-review. Gerontology, 59(2), 99-104.
Nosaka, K., Hunter, M., & Wang, W. (2016). The role of Toxoplasma gondii as a possible inflammatory agent in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus in humans. Family Medicine and Community Health, 4(4), 44-62.
- Saeed, S. A. (2018). Serological and Immunological study of Iraqi diabetic patients infected with Toxoplasmosis (Doctoral dissertation, thesis, College of education for pure science, Baghdad university. 130).
- Modrek, M. J., Saravani, R., Mousavi, M., Khorashad, A. S., & Piri, M. (2015). Investigation of IgG and IgM antibodies against Toxoplasma gondii among diabetic patients. International Journal of Infection, 2(3).
- Nuha, J .H .(2011). Prevalence of antibodies to Cytomegalovirus, Rubella virus andToxoplasma gondii among aborted women in Thiqar province. Journal of education of college, 5(1), 2-5.
-Rosowski, E. E., Nguyen, Q. P., Camejo, A., Spooner, E., & Saeij, J. P. (2014). Toxoplasma gondii inhibits gamma interferon (IFN-γ)-and IFN-β-induced host cell STAT1 transcriptional activity by increasing the association of STAT1 with DNA. Infection and immunity, 82(2), 706-719.
- Nallar, S. C., & Kalvakolanu, D. V. (2014). Interferons, signal transduction pathways, and the central nervous system. Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research, 34(8), 559-576.
- Egan, C. E., Cohen, S. B., & Denkers, E. Y. (2012). Insights into inflammatory bowel disease using Toxoplasma gondii as an infectious trigger. Immunology and cell biology, 90(7), 668-675.
- Benson, A., Pifer, R., Behrendt, C. L., Hooper, L. V., & Yarovinsky, F. (2009). Gut commensal bacteria direct a protective immune response against Toxoplasma gondii. Cell host & microbe, 6(2), 187-196.
- Bando, H., Lee, Y., Sakaguchi, N., Pradipta, A., Sakamoto, R., Tanaka, S., ... & Yamamoto, M. (2019). Toxoplasma effector GRA15-dependent suppression of IFN-γ-induced antiparasitic response in human neurons. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, 9, 140
- Shakya, A. K., O’Callaghan, D. J., & Kim, S. K. (2019). Interferon gamma inhibits varicella-zoster virus replication in a cell line-dependent manner. Journal of Virology, 93(12), e00257-19. .
-Kadhim, W. H., Tektook, N. H., & Khalaf, A. K. (2020). Study the correlation between cytokines (IL-6, IL-27, TGF-beta and IFN-gamma) levels and microbial abortion among woman in Thi-Qar Province. International Journal of Innovations in Biological and Chemical Sciences, 13, 40-48.
Copyright (c) 2023 University of Thi-Qar Journal Of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.